John Speller's Web Pages Hampstead Junction Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Hampstead Junction Railway LNWR Untitled
The Hampstead Junction Railway between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road via Gospel Oak was chartered by an Act of 1853, which had to be renewed in 1857 before the line finally opened on 2 January 1860. The engineer was Sir George Berkley, and the line was noteworthy for having the world's first interlocking points and signals. The line was initially worked by a combination of two companies -- the London & North Western Railway provided the staff, and the North London Railway provided the rolling stock -- and this divided oversight may in part have been responsible for a disastrous accident on 2 September 1862 when an excursion train ran into a ballast train with the loss of sixteen lives. The line was absorbed by the London & North Western Railway in 1867 and remains an important suburban line in the twenty-first century.

Map of the Hampstead Junction Railway
Ex-LNER "J-19" Class 0-6-0 No. 64657 on a freight train at Finchley Road & Frognall station on 7 May 1955. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Ex-LMS Fairburn 4-MT 2-6-4T No. 42214 at Willesden Junction on 29 September 1962. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Accident on the Hampstead Junction Railway, 2 September 1862. Engraving from the Illustrated London News
Site Contents Untitled