John Speller's Web Pages East Lancashire Railway (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
East Lancashire Railway (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The Manchester, Bury and Rossendale Railway was incorporated by an Act of 4 July 1844 to build a line from Clifton Junction, on the Manchester to Bolton Line, to Bury and thence via the Irwell Valley and Rossendale to Rawtenstall. The Blackburn and Preston Railway (B&PR), also incorporated in 1844, originally planned to build a railway from Blackburn to Farington together with an extension from Stubbins Junction on the Manchester, Bury and Rossendale Railway to Accrington. The two companies merged in 1845 and became the East Lancashire Railway. The final section to be built was an extension from Rawtenstall to Bacup, opened in 1848. The East Lancashire Railway became part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1859. A branch to Holcombe Brook from just north of Bury, known as the Bury and Tottington District Railway opened on 6 November 1882. The line between Clifton Junction and Bury Bolton Street closed under the Beeching Act in 1966, but the northern part of the line continued open to passenger traffic until 1972 and goods until 1980. The Bury to Rawtenstall section has subsequently reopened as the East Lancashire Railway, a Heritage line.
Map of the East Lancashire Railway extracted from the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway System Map
Ex-LMS Class "3-F" 0-6-0T No. 47324 at Ramsbottom station on the preserved East Lancashire Railway in 2007. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Great Western Railway 4-4-0 No. 3440 "City of Truro" at Rawtenstall station on the preserved East Lancashire Railway in 2007. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The very unusual Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway station at Bury Bolton Street in around 1905
Site Contents Untitled