John Speller's Web Pages Buxton Lines

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Buxton Lines LNWR Untitled
First on the scene was the Cromford & High Peak Railway which connected the Cromford Canal at High Peak Junction with the Peak Canal at Whaley Bridge; it opened in 1831. In 1853 the line was extended from High Peak Junction to Whatstandwell on the Midland Railway's Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midlands Junction line. Meanwhile in 1856 the North Staffordshire Railway built a branch line from Rocester on the Churnet Valley line, to Ashbourne. In 1857 the London & North Western Railway opened the Stockport, Disley & Whaley Bridge Railway , and a connection was made between this and the Cromford & High Peak line, thus providing a through connection between Manchester, Stockport and the Midland Railway. Up to this point the Cromford & High Peak Railway had been worked by independent contractors, but in 1862 an agreement was reached with the London & North Western Railway to work the line for a period of 25 years. At the expiration of this agreement the Cromford & High Peak Railway was absorbed by the L&NWR. It was not until 1890, however, that the line was connected with Buxton by building a 2 mile extension into the town. The L&NWR's network of lines around Buxton was completed in 1899 when a link was built between a new joint L&NWR/NSR station at Ashbourne and Parsley Hay, just east of Buxton on the Cromford & High Peak Railway. With the completion to the Buxton to Ashbourne line in 1899 the LNWR provided a through express service from Euston to Manchester via Ashbourne and Buxton, which was the shortest route between the two cities, but this did not prove a success and was taken off after a few years.
Map of the lines around Buxton, Derbyshire
Original 1830s fishbelly rails from the Cromford & High Peak Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Buxton Station in 1965. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
London & North Western Railway goods train behind a Bowen-Cooke "G-1" Class 0-8-0 locomotive between Buxton and Ashbourne in around 1920
Site Contents Untitled