John Speller's Web Pages Bolton & Preston Railway (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Bolton & Preston Railway (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The Bolton & Preston Railway was incorporated by an Act of 11 July 1837 to build a 15˝ -mile line from a junction with the Manchester & Bolton Railway at Bradford Square, Bolton, to a junction with the North Union Railway at Euxton, and thence over the North Union Railway to Preston (Fishergate). The Chairman was John Hargreaves, Jr. (1800–1874), who was in partnership with another of the Directors, Benjamin Hick (1792-1842) in the Bolton engineering firm of Hick, Hargreaves & Co. The Engineer was John Urpeth Rastrick (1780-1856) and the Resident Engineer was Alexander James Adie (1808-1879). The first 5˝ miles of the line to Chorley opened at the end of 1841 and by 30 June 1842 80,300 passengers had been carried over the line. The Act of 11 July 1837 had stipulated, however, that work remaining 10 miles of the line beyond Chorley should not begin for three years, to enable the North Union Railway to complete their line from Euxton to Preston, so the Bolton & Preston Railway did not open throughout until 1 June 1846. It was absorbed into the East Lancashire Railway on 3 August 1846, which in turn became part of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway on 13 May 1859. There were subsequently branches to Ellerbeck and Horwich, the first of which served Ellerbeck Colliery, and the second of which served the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway’s Locomotive Works at Horwich. These branches have subsequently closed, though the Horwich branch has been replaced by a new station, Horwich Parkway, on the main line. Another additional station at Buckshaw Parkway between Chorley and Euxton Junction opened in 2001.
Map of the Manchester & Preston Railway
Euxton station on 26 August 1964. In 1997 Euxton station was replaced by a new one, Balshaw Lane & Euxton, a quarter of a mile to the south. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Stanier-Fairburn 2-6-4T with a local train at Blackrod station on 16 April 1962. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Ex-LMS Hughes 5-P/6-F 2-6-0 No. 42841 at Farington sstation on the former North Union Railway (L&NWR/L&YR Joint) on 20 June 1957. Two of the early locomotives were named "Victoria" and "Fairfield." Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled