John Speller's Web Pages Bamfurlong Junction Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Bamfurlong Junction Railway LNWR Untitled
The Bamfurlong Junction Railway, which received its Act on 19 July 1887, was one of a number of lines that provided a useful by-pass especially for freight trains, avoiding Wigan on the West Coast Main Line. First came the Whelley Loop Railway, built by the Lancashire Union Railway in 1869. Passenger stations were provided at Whelley and Amberswood but remained open for only three months from 1 January to 1 March 1872. An additional connection from the West Coast main line north of Wigan was added in 1882, and then the Bamfurlong Junction, south of Wigan, Railway, was built by the LNWR shortly after the absorption of the LUR. It provided a link from Bamfurlong Junction, via a link to the Great Central Railway at Amberswood West Junction, to a link with the London & North Western and Great Central Railways at Amberswood East Junction, a total of 1 mile and 59 chains. All these lines were double track, but were limited to a maximum speed of 40 mph.
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the lines bypassing Wigan, 1907
Accident at Amberswood East Junction on 24 July 1900. Two people were killed and twenty injured when an L&NWR train jumped the track at Ambersgate East Junction owing to a track defect
The 20-arch Standish Viaduct over the Douglas Valley on the Whelley Loop in a postcard view of around 1905
Passenger train approaching the remains of Bamfurlong station (closed 27 November 1950) behind a Stanier "Black Five" on 16 April 1962. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled