John Speller's Web Pages Ashton, Stalybridge and Liverpool Junction Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Ashton, Stalybridge and Liverpool Junction Railway LNWR Untitled
The Ashton, Stalybridge and Liverpool Junction Railway was incorporated on 19 July 1844, and became part of the Manchester & Leeds Railway on 9 July 1847. The engineer was Thomas Longridge Gooch (1808-1882), the eldest brother of Sir Daniel and John Viret Gooch. The line ran from Miles Platting, on the Manchester & Leeds Railway, to Stalybridge, with a branch to Ardwick. It was later a major route on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway.
Map of the Ashton, Stalybridge and Liverpool Junction Railway
Before the building of Horwich Works, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway maintained a facility at Miles Platting. This 4' 10" 0-6-0 was built at Miles Platting Works in 1867
Stanier 4-MT 2-6-4T No. 42645 approaching Ashton-under-Lyne station with a local train in 1951. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Miles Platting station in 1989. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled