John Speller's Web Pages Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway (L&YR)

John Speller's Web Pages - L&NWR
Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway (L&YR) LNWR Untitled
The Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Railway was part of the East Lancashire Railway, which attempted, and indeed succeeded, in building a railway from Liverpool to Leeds. Unfortunately this was less successful than one might have thought, and the traffic on its lines was mostly local. The East Lancashire Railway was absorbed into the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway on 13 May 1859.

The Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway was incorporated on 30 June 1845. It was opened from Blackburn to Accrington on 19 June 1848, from Accrington to Stubbins on 17 August 1848, from Stubbins to Burnley on 18 September 1848, and from Burnley to Colne (where it connected with the Midland Railway) on 1 February 1849.

The 9-mile North Lancashire or Great Harwood Loop was added in 1875.

The North Lancashire or Great Harwood Loop closed in 1964; the rest of the line is still operating.
Map of the Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Railway (L&YR). Click to enlarge
Simonstone on the North Lancashire or Great Harwood Loop was the smallest station on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
Ex-L&YR Aspinall Class "27" 0-6-0 No. 52095 at Rose Grove Locomotive Shed, Burnley, on 28 March 1959. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The South End of Accrington Station 1908
Site Contents Untitled