John Speller's Web Pages Hull Docks

John Speller's Web Pages - Hull & Barnsley Railway

Hull Docks HBRHorizontal
The Hull & Barnsley Railway had two docks at Hull the original Alexandra Dock which opened on 16 July 1885, and the larger King George V Dock, which was jointly owned by the Hull & Barnsley and North Eastern Railways opened on 26 June 1914. Over the years passenger ferries have operated between Hull and a number of European ports, mostly in Holland and Belgium. There are currently regular services to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge.
Map of the Docks and Railways in Hull. Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.
Matthew Stirling's first action on appointment as Locomotive Superintendent of the Hull & Barnsley Railway was to order six 0-4-0 side-and-well tanks from Kitson & Co. of Leeds for shunting at the Alexandra Dock. They do not seem to have carried numbers or been designated with a class name. All had been scrapped by about 1920
A postcard view of the Hull & Barnsley Railway's Alexandra Dock in about 1920
The Hull & Barnsley and North Eastern Railways Joint Committee's King George V Dock in Hull
Site Contents Untitled