John Speller's Web Pages West Midland Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge
West Midland Railway GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway, nicknamed the "Old Worse & Worse," was authorized by an Act of 4 August 1845 to build a mixed-gauge line from Wolvercote Junction on the Great Western Railway's Oxford & Rugby line, to Wolverhampton, with a connection to the London & North Western Railway's line at Bushbury North Junction. It incorporated the Stratford and Morton Tramway, authorized in 1821 and opened in 1826. Although the OW&WR was built by Brunel with mixed gauge tracks, when it opened in 1854 the OW&W proceeded to fall out with the Great Western Railway, the broad gauge rails were never used, and an agreement was reached with the London & North Western Railway to provide rail service between Oxford (Rewley Road) and London Euston. On 1 July 1860 the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway combined with the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway , the Worcester and Hereford Railway, and the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway to form the West Midland Railway. In 1862, it also leased the Leominster and Kington Railway. Then, somewhat to everyone's surprise, the Return of the Prodigal took place the West Midland Railway kissed and made up with the Great Western Railway, and as of 1 August 1863 it became part of the GWR.
Map of the West Midland Railway showing London connections via the GWR and L&NWR
Built in 1857, Crumlin Viaduct, 200 feet high and 1,650 feet long, on the Taff Vale extension of the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway, was the tallest viaduct in Britain
Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway "Jenny Lind" Class 2-2-2 "Will Shakespere" built by E. B. Wilson & Co. to David Joy's famous design
Charlbury, the last surviving example of Brunel's elegant wood chalet style stations on the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway
Site Contents Untitled