John Speller's Web Pages Shrewsbury & Welshpool Railway

John Speller's Web Pages -- L&NWR and GWR Joint Committee

Shrewsbury & Welshpool Railway LNWR Untitled GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Shrewsbury & Welshpool Railway was incorporated by an Act of 29 July 1856 to build a 16¼-mile line from Shrewsbury General station to a junction with the Oswestry & Newtown Railway (later Cambrian Railways) at Welshpool. There was additionally to be a 6½-mile branch line to Minsterley. These lines to be worked by the London & North Western Railway. The Act authorized the issuance of £150,000 in £10 shares, with powers to borrow an additional £50,000. Under an additional Act of 23 July 1858 an extension of two years was authorized, and the directors entered into a contract with Mr. Alexander Thomas Gordon, by which he engaged to purchase land, construct the railway, and pay all incidental expenses up to opening of line, and to keep it in repair for one year after opening. A third Act of 18 May 1860 authorized some minor deviations from the original plan and provided for a further extension until 15 May 1862. The main line opened on 27 January 1862, with the Minsterley Branch following on 14 February 1862. Under an Act of 29 June 1863 the company was authorized to double the track between Shrewsbury and Llanwood. Under another Act of 24 July 1864 it was leased jointly to the Great Western and London & North Western Railways. It passed into the Joint ownership of these companies in the Grouping of 1923. It was of particular importance to the Great Western Railway in providing the main access to the lines of the former Cambrian Railways system. The Minsterley Branch closed to passengers in 1951 and to goods in 1967. The main line between Shrewsbury and Welshpool remains open, though the intermediate stations all closed on 12 September 1960.
Map of the Shrewsbury & Welshpool Railway and connections. Click here to enlarge
Railtour at Minsterley station in 1964 behind Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 No. 46512. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Postcard view of Westbury (Salop) station in around 1905
Buttington station 26 September 1963, showing the Cambrian Railways main line from Oswestry to Welshpool, with the Shrewsbury and Welshpool Railway peeling off to the right. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled