John Speller's Web Pages Neath & Brecon Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge

Neath & Brecon Railway GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
Originally known as the Dulas Valley Mineral Railway, the Neath & Brecon was a useful connecting line in South Wales, linking at Neath with the G.W.R. South Wales main line, and via the Swansea Vale Railway (Midland Railway) to Swansea. The Midland had running rights over the N&BR, providing it with a useful route from Sheffield and Manchester via Derby and Birmingham New Street to Swansea. At Brecon the N&BR connected with the Brecon & Merthyr Railway, providing valuable coal traffic, and with Cambrian Railways, giving access to Wrexham and North Wales. The company was quite small, having only a single line of rails, and a mere 15 locomotives, which were absorbed into Great Western stock on 1 January 1922. It is unfortunate for the N&BR that it was grouped with the GWR rather than the LMS, since it duplicated other Great Western routes and was relegated to being a backwater.
N&BR 0-6-2T No. 11 (G.W.R. No. 1114), built by Robert Stephenson & Co., 1906
N&BR 0-6-0ST No. 8 (G.W.R. No. 2175), built by Nasmyth, Wilson & Co., 1899. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
Double Fairlie 0-4-4-0 "Mountaineer," built for the Anglesey Central Railway in 1866, and sold to the Neath & Brecon in 1867
Corporate seal of the Dulas Valley Mineral Railway
Site Contents Untitled