John Speller's Web Pages Birmingham Moor Street

John Speller's Web Pages

Birmingham Moor Street GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
By the early 1900s the two-track tunnel from the south into the Great Western Railway's main Birmingham station at Snow Hill was becoming extremely congested, and the opening of the North Warwickshire Railway between Stratford-on-Avon and Birmingham added to the delays. The Great Western Railway therefore decided to divert most of its local services from Leamington Spa and Stratford into a new station at Moor Street, 52 chains from Snow Hill and just south of the tunnel. A temporary wooden station was opened in July 1909 and a permanent brick one was completed in 1914. Between the 1960s and the 1990s the station fell on hard times and risked closure on several occasions, but in 2002 it experienced a renaissance when the Grade II listed building was renovated by the Birmingham Alliance and Chiltern Railways at a cost of £11 million in order to provide Chiltern Railways with a Birmingham station for their trains from London Marylebone. It is a stop on the Shakespeare Express steam trains which operate in the summer between Birmingham Snow Hill and Stratford-upon-Avon. Footage of "Hall" Class 4-6-0 No. 4936 "Kinlet Hall" at Moor Street with the Shakespeare Express can be seen here.
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the position of Birmingham Moor Street station
Churchward "28xx" Class 2-8-0 No. 2885 at Birmingham Moor Street. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Ornamental ironwork featuring the GWR logo adorns the façade of the restored Moor Street station. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The restored concourse of Birmingham Moor Street station. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled