John Speller's Web Pages Brecon & Merthyr Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Western Railway Narrow Gauge

Brecon & Merthyr Railway GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Brecon & Merthyr Railway was chartered in 1858 and opened from Brecon to Pant in 1863. The line to Merthyr was completed in 1868 solely by the B&MR, and the LNWR later took a half interest in it. Additions extended it to just beyond Caerphilly, and to Bassaleg, from where it had running powers to Newport Docks. Coal was of course the mainstay of the line, though there was also a vigorous passenger service, in addition to which the Mildand Railway ran over its tracks from Talyllyn Junction to Merthyr. The Brecon & Merthyr Railway's trains were painted a dark red, sometimes described as "chocolate;" some later locomotives seem to have been painted in a more orange hue of red. The company had 47 locomotives at the time it was taken over by the Great Western Railway on 1 July 1922. Following the decline of the South Wales coal industry most of the line closed and only a small section now remains between Machen and Bassaleg Junction serving a stone quarry.
GWR Dean Goods 0-6-0 No. 2407 at Dowlais Top station with a goods train in around 1935
Brecon & Merthyr train at Brecon in around 1905
GWR Dean Goods 0-6-0 No. 2407 at Dowlais Top station with a goods train in around 1935
Brecon & Merthyr 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotive "Cymbeline" built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1866
Map of the Brecon & Merthyr Railway
Site Contents Untitled