Shifnal Buildwas Branch John Speller's Web Pages Shifnal Buildwas Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Western Railway Narrow Gauge

Shifnal Buildwas Branch GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
An Act of 2 July 1847 authorized the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway to build a branch from their main line at Madeley Junction, just north-west of Shifnal, to Madeley (Salop), a distance of some four miles. The Engineer was Robert Stephenson, with William Baker as the Resident Engineer. After numerous delays the line opened on 1 June 1854. On 1 September the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway merged with the Great Western Railway.

Meanwhile, an Act of 29 August 1853 had authorized the Severn Valley Railway, which ran from the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway at Hartlebury to Shrewsbury, with a branch to from Benthall (between Ironbridge and Buildwas) to Madeley and principally serving Coalbrookdale, where there was a substantial brick viaduct. This line also opened on 1 June 1854, and became part of the Great Western Railway on 18 July 1872. The section between Lightmoor and Madeley Junction, together with Madeley (Salop) station closed to passengers as a wartime economy on 22 March 1915, but though it reopened on 13 July 1925, it was soon clear that there was almost no traffic and it closed again on 21 September 1925. Goods service was withdrawn in 1963.

The Great Western station was named "Madeley Salop" to distinguish it from the L&NWR station, "Madeley Market," from the L&NWR station at "Madeley" (Staffordshire) and from the North Staffordshire Railway station at "Madeley Road," all of which were in relatively close proximity.

Map showing the Shifnal Buildwas Branch
The only known photograph of Madeley Salop railway station circa 1910
Buildwas railway station in 1962. Image copyright BenBrooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Coalbrookdale railway station
Site Contents Untitled