John Speller's Web Pages Liskeard & Looe Railway

John Speller's Web Pages

Liskeard & Looe Railway GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Liskeard & Looe Railway was a 7-mile line incorporated by an Act 11 May 1858; it connected near Liskeard with the Liskeard & Caradon Railway, a 10-mile line that had previously been incorporated by an Act of 27 June 1843, and which had opened in March 1846. The Liskeard & Looe Railway remained an independent company for a surprisingly long time, and was not taken over by the Great Western Railway until 1 January 1909. It was also responsible for working the Liskeard & Caradon Railway after 1895. The Liskeard & Looe was noteworthy for its smart passenger trains, painted royal blue lined out in scarlet.
G.W.R. No. 1311"Cheesewring" was a long-boiler 0-6-0ST with 4' 0" driving wheels built by Gilkes, Wilson & Co., for the Liskeard & Caradon Railway in 1864. It was absorbed into Great Western stock on 1 January 1909, and withdrawn in August 1919
Andrew Barclay's locomotive works in Kilmarnock, 1902, with the completed L&LR 2-4-0T "Lady Margaret" awaiting shipment on the right
Passenger train at Looe around 1905 consisting of three ex-Mersey Railway coaches behind 2-4-0T locomotive "Lady Margaret," built by Andrew Barclay in 1902
The Liskeard & Looe's 0-6-0ST "Kilmar" (GWR No. 1312) was built by Hopkins, Gilkes & Co. in 1869 to the same design as "Cheesewring." The building in the background is the combined locomotive and carriage shed at Looe
Site Contents Untitled