John Speller's Web Pages William Dean Narrow Gauge Locomotives

John Speller's Web Pages

William Dean Narrow Gauge Locomotives GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The replica of Dean "3001" or "Achilles" Class 4-2-2 No. 3041 "The Queen" now on display at Windsor & Eton Central station. 80 of these beautiful machines were built between 1891 and 1899 and were the outstanding express locomotives of their day. The first 27 engines were turned out as 2-2-2s, but converted to the 4-2-2 wheel arrangement following a derailment in Box Tunnel. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
260 of the ubiquitous "Dean Goods" or "2301" class were built between 1883 and 1899 and some saw service overseas in both world wars. One of these locomotives consistently outperformed a new LMS "Ivatt" 2-6-0 during the 1948 Locomotive Exchange.
William Dean constructed twenty-five 5 ft. 1 in. 2-4-0 locomotives in 1886-1887. Of these, the prototype No. 3201 was sold to the Pembroke & Tenby where it became No. 8 "Stella." It returned to the GWR with the absorption of the Pembroke and Tenby Railway in 1897, but kept its "Stella" nameplate for some years, resulting in the whole class becoming known as the "Stella." Class. It is here showing running on the GWR in around 1900
Only 10 of the 60 members of William Dean's "Duke" Class express 4-4-0 survived into British Railways ownership. The venerable No. 9083 "Comet" is shown here at Didcot on 29 May 1948. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled