John Speller's Web Pages Cambrian Railways

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge

Cambrian Railways GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled


Cambrian Railways, a mid-Wales railway with 230 miles of track, was taken over by the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922. The company's lines stretched from Brecon to Wrexham and Whitchurch, and to Aberystwyth, Barmouth and Pwllheli. Before the Grouping it was especially important as forming the link between the Great Central Railway and South Wales.

Even before the Grouping in July 1921 the Great Western Railway introduced a daily express in co-operation with Cambrian Railways that ran from Paddington to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli. This service continued after Cambrian Railways were absorbed by the GWR and was named the Cambrian Coast Express in 1927.


For a system map of Cambrian Railways just before the Grouping (courtesy of Wikipedia Commons), click here.
Cambrian Railways 4-4-0 No. 61, built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1895
Oswestry Station, headquarters of Cambrian Railways. The building is happily almost unchanged today
Cambrian Railways' logo, combining the Welsh dragon with the Tudor rose (the Tudors, of course, were Welsh)
The celebrated Cambrian Railways' 2-4-0 "Albion," built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in May 1863
Site Contents Untitled