John Speller's Web Pages Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Narrow Gauge

Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway was incorporated by an Act of 5 July 1865 to convert the Kidwelly & Burry Port Canal into a railway from Burry Port to the Mountain branch of the Llanelly Railway with several branches amounting to eighteen and a half miles. The line was progressively opened as a purely coal-carrying line between 1869 and 1891, and eventually amounted to 21 miles. In 1908 the railway brought in Colonel Stephens to upgrade the line to the point where passengers could legally be carried (they had been illegally carried for years). Colonel Stephens followed through on this and on 29 June 1913 the first passenger trains ran on the line. The line was absorbed by the Great Western Railway on 1 July 1922 in anticipation of the Grouping of 1923. The line closed to passenger traffic on 21 September 1953, with goods traffic ceasing piecemeal toward the end of the twentieth century.

Map of the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway
A passenger train at Pontyberem station in circa 1914 consisting of a saddle tank locomotive with a rake of ex-LSWR coaches
Corporate seal of the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway
Hudswell, Clarke 0-6-0 tank No. 8 "Pioneer," built 1909, resplendent in its claret livery, with a passenger train on opening day in 1913
Site Contents Untitled