John Speller's Web Pages Uxbridge (Vine Street) Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge

Uxbridge (Vine Street) Branch Untitled Untitled
The Great Western & Uxbridge Railway Act of 1846 authorized construction of a 2-mile single track broad gauge line from West Drayton on the GWR main line to Uxbridge, but the powers lapsed. They were revived under the Great Western Railway (Additional Powers) Act of 1853 and construction began in 1854; the line opened to passengers on 8 September 1856. The track was relaid as standard gauge on 9 October 1871. The line was doubled in 1881. The intermediate station at Cowley opened in 1904. A proposal to extend the line to join up with the Uxbridge (High Street) Branch was abandoned in 1914. The branch closed to passengers in 10 September 1962 and to goods on 24 February 1964.
Map of the Uxbridge Branch
Postcard view of Cowley station on the Uxbridge (Vine Street) Branch in around 1905
"61xx" Class Prairie Tank No. 6125 shunting parcels vans at Uxbridge High Street on 9 September 1962. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled