John Speller's Web Pages Faringdon Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge

Faringdon Branch Untitled Untitled
The The three-and-a-quarter-mile Faringdon Railway was promoted as an entirely local affair to connect the Great Western main line at Uffington Junction with the town of Faringdon in Berkshire. The line was incorporated by an Act of 13 August 1860 with an authorized capital of 22,500 with power to borrow an additional 7,500. The Chairman was Daniel Bennett, Esq., of Faringdon House, and the Joint Secretaries were George J. Haines and George F. Crowdy. The lien was to be worked by the Great Western Railway. The line opened on 1 June 1864. A plan to extend it to a junction with the Fairfield branch lust east of Lechlade was mooted in the late 1860s but came to nothing. The line was converted from broad to narrow gauge on 10 August 1878. The Faringdon Railway Company was absorbed by the GWR on 1 July 1886. Passenger service was withdrawn on 29 December 1951, followed by complete closure on 1 July 1963.
Postcard view of Faringdon station in around 1905. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Another view of Faringdon station in around 1905. Note the original, somewhat diminutive signalbox
Gooch broad gauge "Leo" Class 2-4-0 locomotive "Aries," built by Rothwell & Co. in 1841, and as later rebuilt as a saddle tank locomotive, outside the engine shed at Faringdon shortly after the opening of the branch in 1864
Narrow-gauge private-owner coal wagon built in 1892 for Faringdon coal merchant C. S. Clarke by the Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company
Site Contents Untitled