John Speller's Web Pages Venn Cross

John Speller's Web Pages

Venn Cross Untitled Untitled Untitled
Situated on the Somerset/Devon border between Wiveliscombe and Morebath on the GWR's Taunton to Barnstaple Branch, Venn Cross station was unusual in having its signal box and goods shed in the cutting and the station building at the top of the cutting. In this regard it was similar to St. Ives in Cornwall. There was not much in the way of habitation in Venn Cross itself, but it was fairly central to a number of surrounding villages including Ashbrittle, Raddington and Stawley. When the line opened in 1873 there was only a single platform, but a passing loop and up station shelter were added in 1905, together with a new signalbox.
Waterrow Viaduct (159 yards long) over the River Tone near Venn Cross, Devon & Somerset Railway from an illustration in The Graphic published at the time of opening n 1873
Venn Cross Station, Devon & Somerset Railway (GWR) on 27 July 1964. Standing on the county boundary is GWR "Mogul" No. 7333, perhaps the only engine ever photographed in Devon with its tender in Somerset! Photograph John Speller
Venn Cross Tunnel (246 yards long) 27 July 1964. Note the unusual centre-balanced signal arm, with the spectacle upside down and halfway down the post, to provide better sighting. Note the wide clearance of the tunnel mouth,owing to it having been built for the broad gauge. Photograph John Speller
Venn Cross station from the tunnel, showing the up station shelter and signalbox of 1905
Site Contents Untitled