John Speller's Web Pages Tiverton Branch (B&ER)

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge - B&ER

Tiverton Branch Untitled Untitled Untitled
The Bristol & Exeter Railway's original Act of 1836 included a provision to build a branch line from the main line at Tiverton Road (later Tiverton Junction) to Tiverton, but owing to lack of funds this was initially allowed to lapse and had to be renewed in 1845. The line was opened for traffic on 12 June 1848, but at this point the Bristol & Exeter Railway had not yet completed the station platforms at Tiverton and passengers had to board the train fro m track level. This may have been one reason for the trial of the railmotor "Fairfield" on the line in 1848-49, as this was designed to allow easy access from track level. There were no intermediate stations between Tiverton Junction and Tiverton on the 4 mile branch, though a halt was later provided at Halberton.
Pearson 2-2-2 well tank No. 58, delivered by Rothwell & Co. in October 1859, shown at Tiverton in around 1865. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
The first Railmotor -- B&ER No. 29 "Fairfield" built by William Adams in 1848, as modified with the wheels outside the coach body to run on the broad gauge Tiverton Branch. The engine part was later separated and used to construct the Yeovil Branch
Aqueduct carrying the Grand Western Canal over the Tiverton branch near Halberton. Although built with two arches for a double-tracked railway, only the right hand arch was ever used
Tiverton Junction station before rebuilding in 1921. The original Down Station is on the left, the Goods Shed in the center and the Engine Shed on the right
Site Contents Untitled