John Speller's Web Pages Vulcan
<
John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge

Vulcan Untitled Untitled Untitled
"Vulcan," built by Charles Tayleur & Co, Vulcan Works, Newton-le-Willows was one of the first two locomotives delivered to the Great Western Railway on 25 November 1837. At Iver on 28 December 1837 it became the first locomotive in steam to "turn a wheel" on the Great Western. It had 8 ft. driving wheels and weighed 18 tons. Far from successful in its original form it was withdrawn in December 1843 and rebuilt as a 2-2-2 back-tank as a member of the "Wolf" Class and used on light passenger duties. In 1858 it was operating on the Henley Branch and at the time of its withdrawal in April 1867 it was operating on the Abingdon Branch. It is shown in its rebuilt form in the photograph of 1858. It continued in use as a stationary boiler in Reading until July 1870, and was then scrapped.
"Vulcan" rebuilt as a "Wolf" Class 2-2-2 back tank, photographed in 1858 by A. A. Watkins on the Henley Branch, which had opened a few months previously on 1 June 1857. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
Outline drawing of "Vulcan" as originally built
"Vulcan" portrayed on an early twentieth-century cigarette card based on the left-hand photograph
Site Contents Untitled