John Speller's Web Pages Lord of the Isles

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge Locomotives

Lord of the Isles Untitled Untitled Untitled
"Lord of the Isles", last of the "Iron Duke" Class, built in March 1851 and displayed at the Great Exhibition of 1851. For some years a North-countryman, Robert Patterson, was the regular driver of "Lord of the Isles." From 1867 to 1883 it was used for the 9.05 a.m. Windsor to Paddington service, which the Chairman, Sir Daniel Gooch took to his office every day, returning by the 5.45 p.m., both of which were driven by Robert Roscoe (b. 1814), a long time Great Western employee who had been driving "Sultan" on 10 May 1848 when it was involved in the Shrivenham accident. The Windsor line was converted from mixed to narrow gauge in June 1883, in anticipation of the rebuilding of Windsor station. The engine does not seem to have been much used after that and was withdrawn from service in June 1884 and preserved at Swindon Works before being scrapped in 1906. It was exhibited at the Edinburgh Exhibition of 1890 and in 1893 it was shipped to the Chicago World's Fair. In its heyday the locomotive is said once to have run the 77 miles from Swindon to Paddington in 72 minutes, or an average speed of 64 m.p.h. It ran a total of 789,300 miles in the course of its life on the GWR.
"Lord of the Isles" as built, posing outside St. Mark's Church, Swindon.
An early view of "Lord of the Isles" at Westbourne Park
"Lord of the Isles" as preserved at Swindon 1884-1906. Photograph by J. Mudd & Son. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
Color plate of "Lord of the Isles" from the "Railway Magazine" 1905
Site Contents Untitled