John Speller's Web Pages Homepage

John Speller's Web Pages - GWR Broad Gauge Locomotives

Armstrong Hawthorn Class Untitled Untitled Untitled
"Hawthorn" Class 2-4-0 "Wood" built at Swindon in January 1866, and here shown at Newton Abbot on 17 July 1889. Photograph by the Rev. A. H. Malan. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
"Hawthorn" Class 2-4-0 "Fenton" in front of Price, Corner & Co., Railway Street, Taunton, c. 1890. It is fitted with wide buffers for banking both broad and narrow gauge trains up to Whiteball Summit. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
Several "Hawthorns" were rebuilt as 2-4-0 saddle tanks for use in Devon and Cornwall. "Hedley" (shown above) was used as a stationary engine after 1892 and was only finally broken up at Swindon in 1929
Another view of "Fenton," built at Swindon in July 1865. It is shown here at Swindon.
Site Contents Untitled