John Speller's Web Pages Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR

Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway (GNR) GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway was a 13 mile line authorized by Act of Parliament on 29 July 1862, and opened for traffic in December 1867. The line began at the L&NWR's Stafford station and ran through Stafford Common, Salt, Ingestre for Weston, Chartley and Grindley, before connecting with the North Staffordshire Railway at Bramshall Junction. After an independent existence of 14 years the line was taken over by the Great Northern Railway on 1 August 1881. The Great Northern and North Staffordshire Railways exercised mutual running powers over each others lines between Stafford, Eggington and Bramshall Junction. This enabled the GNR to run through trains between Stafford and Derby, and for a while through trains were even run beyond Derby over the GNR's Ilkeston line to Nottingham. The Great Northern also had running powers over the L&NWR from Stafford to Wellington and Shrewsbury, enabling trains to be run from Nottingham and Derby to Shrewsbury. The line went into decline during the twentieth century, however, and the LNER discontinued passenger traffic on 4 December 1939. Withdrawal of freight services followed on 5 March 1951.

The Shrewsbury & Uttoxeter Railway owned two locomotives, "Ingestre" and "Shrewsbury & Talbot." The latter was involved in a fatal derailment on 1 February 1873, when the driver and fireman were killed and eight passengers injured. Excessive speed was blamed for this, and it seems from the Board of Trade inquiry that average speeds in excess of 45 m.p.h. -- implying top speeds of 60 m.p.h. or more -- were common over the line at the time.
Hopton Cutting, Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway
Loxley Tunnel, Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway
Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway 2-4-0T "Shrewsbury & Talbot," built by Beyer, Peacock & Co., 1868. It was named after Charles John Chetwynd-Talbot (1830-1877), the Chairman of the S&UR, who was 19th. Earl of Shrewsbury, 19th. Earl of Waterford and 4th. Earl of Talbot. I guess "Shrewsbury, Waterford & Talbot" wouldn't fit on the nameplate
Beyer-Peacock 0-4-4ST "Ingestre" built in 1860 and purchased secondhand from the North London Railway by the Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway in 1868. This locomotive was also named after Charles John Chetwynd-Talbot (1830-1877), the Chairman of the S&UR, who was styled Viscount Ingestre until he inherited three earldoms in 1868
Site Contents Untitled