John Speller's Web Pages Nottingham to Grantham Line

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Nottingham to Grantham Line GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway was originally intended to link to the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway at Ambergate giving access from Manchester to Boston and the East Coast. It was incorporated by an Act 16 July 1846. The Engineer was John Underwood (1814-1893) who was also the Midland Railway’s Engineer. The major engineering work was the viaduct at Radcliffe over the River Trent, comprising a 110 ft. cast iron arch with three masonry arches on the approach. The company sought powers to use the Midland Railway's Carrington Street station rather than building their own station at Nottingham, and this connected with their line from a junction at Colwick. The line opened for passengers on 15 July 1850 from its own terminus at Ambergate Yard at the Old Wharf in Grantham to Colwick Junction. The line was initially worked by E. B. Wilson and Co., with David Joy as the Locomotive Superintendent.

After a battle between the Midland, London & North Western and Great Northern Railways for control of the Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway, the Great Northern got the upper hand and in 1852, the year the Great Northern main line first reached Grantham, and was given running rights over the ANB&EJR, allowing through trains from London to Nottingham in competition with those of the Midland Railway. The Great Northern Railway next entered into an agreement to run the ANB&EJR for a period of ten years from 2 April 1855. In 1860 the ANB&EJR took over the Nottingham and Grantham Canals and the name was changed to the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal Company. In 1861 the company was leased to the Great Northern Railway. The Great Northern built its own terminus at Nottingham London Road in 1857. In 1900 a new joint station, Nottingham Victoria, was built in cooperation with the Great Central Railway.

Map showing the Great Northern Railway's Nottingham to Grantham Line
Nottingham London Road station, built by the Great Northern Railway in 1857. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Bottesford station on 13 July 1963. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Bingham station on 13 July 1963. Image © copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Site Contents Untitled