John Speller's Web Pages Nottingham Suburban Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Nottingham Suburban Railway GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Nottingham Suburban Railway was promoted by a group of local businessmen to provide a shorter passenger route between Nottingham and Daybrook than was currently provided by the Derbyshire & Staffordshire Extension Railway. The 3ľ- mile line ran from Trent Lane East Junction to a point just east of Daybrook station, saving about four miles over the existing Great Northern route. The line received its Act in 1886 and was opened on 2 December 1889. The original Directors were Alderman Edward Gripper (1819-1894), Chairman of the Nottingham Manufacturing Company and sometime Mayor of Nottingham; Sir Lesley Charles Probyn, a Director of the Great Northern Railway; Samuel Herrick Sands (Chairman), Chairman of the Nottingham Joint Stock Bank; and Robert Mellors, Managing Director of the Nottingham Patent Brick Company. The Engineer was Edward Parry, M. Inst. C.E. (1844-1920), who was also the Nottinghamshire County Surveyor. The Secretary was Duncan Frederic Basden. The company had an authorized capital £250,000, in 25,000 shares of £10, and was worked by the Great Northern Railway as an independent company until it became part of the LNER at the Grouping on 1 January 1923. The stations served were Nottingham Victoria, Nottingham London Road High Level, Thorneywood, St. Annís Well, Sherwood, Gedling & Carlton and Daybrook.
Map of Nottingham Railways in around 1910, showing the location of the Nottingham Suburban Railway
Robin Hood and Maid Marian were nowhere to be seen in this postcard view of Sherwood station in around 1910. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Nottingham Suburban Railway passenger train behind a Stirling "G-1" Class 0-4-4T at Thorneywood station in 1911
Alderman Edward Gripper (1819-1894), one of the original Directors of the Nottingham Suburban Railway
Site Contents Untitled