John Speller's Web Pages Nottingham London Road Low Level Station

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Nottingham London Road Low Level Station GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
Nottingham London Road station was opened on 3 October 1857 as the terminus of the Great Northern Railway's line to Grantham. It was designed by Nottingham architect Thomas Chambers Hine (1814-1899). It later served as the hub of Great Northern services in the area, including the Derbyshire & Staffordshire Extension Railway. The London & North Western Railway had running powers into the station for trains from the Great Northern and London & North Western Railways Joint Line from Market Harborough to Bottesford and Saxondale via Melton Mowbray. The LNWR also maintained its own Goods Station nearby. With the building of the new through station at Nottingham Victoria by the Great Central & Great Northern Railways Joint Committee, it was became inconvenient for trains to reverse in and out of the station, and a new spur was built together with a new through station. The old station was it was renamed Nottingham London Road Low Level on 15 March 1899, and the new Nottingham London Road High Level station was opened on 24 May 1900. This rendered the original station largely redundant and it was closed to passengers on 22 May 1944. Thereafter it was used as a parcels depot until the 1970s. It was refurbished following a fire in 1990 and is now used for commercial purposes.

Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of Nottingham Stations
An early view of Nottingham London Road station shortly before completion in 1857
The restored former Nottingham London Road Low Level station in 2008. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Goods train at Nottingham London Road Low Level station behind prototype Robinson "B-8" ex-Great Central "Glenalmond" Class 4-6-0 No. 5004 shortly after the Grouping of 1923
Site Contents Untitled