John Speller's Web Pages Leicester Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Leicester Branch GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Leicester Branch of the Great Northern Railway ran from Marefield Junction, Tilton, on the Great Northern and London & North Western Railways Joint line to a terminus at Leicester Belgrave Road. The line was authorized by the Great Northern Railway (Melton to Leicester) Act of 1879. The intermediate stations were at Lowesby, Ingarsby, Thurnby & Scraptoft, Humberstone. The line opened from Marefield Junction to Lowesby on 15 May 1882, and a through service from Lowesby to Peterborough was instituted on 1 January 1883. The major work on the line was the 516-yard Ingarsby Tunnel between Ingarsby and Thurnby & Scraptoft, and upon completion of this the line opened throughout for goods traffic on 2 October 1882, and for passengers on 2 July 1883, at which time the through service from Peterborough began to run through to Leicester. There was also a local service from Leicester to Melton Mowbray. Passenger service was withdrawn on 29 April 1957, though Summer Saturday Specials to Skegness continued until 9 September 1962. Goods service was withdrawn on 1 June 1964.
Map of the Great Northern Railway's Leicester Branch
Great Northern Railway Stirling Single No. 1006 with a passenger train at Leicester Belgrave Road in around 1900
Belgrave Road station, Leicester, on opening day, 2 July 1883
Ingarsby station on the eve of the First World War
Site Contents Untitled