John Speller's Web Pages Great Northern and London & North Western Joint Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Northern and London & North Western Railways Joint Committee
Great Northern and London & North Western Joint Railway GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled LNWR Untitled
The 45-mile joint line ran from Welham Junction and Drayton Junction on the L&NWR Rugby and Stamford Railway in the south, and ran north and to Hallaton Junction and then via Melton Mowbray to Stathern Junction. From here one branch ran northwest and joined the GNR Grantham to Nottingham line at Saxondale Junctionwhich provided access to Nottingham London Road station. The other branch ran north to Bottesford Junction, providing access to the East Coast Main Line at Grantham. There was also a short branch to Waltham-on-the-Wolds, but this never had regular services.

The line was authorized, against strong opposition by the Midland Railway, by an Act of 30 July 1874. It opened between Saxondale Junction and Melton Mowbray on 1 September 1879, and was extended from Harby & Stathern to Newark and from Melton Mowbray to Welham and Drayton Junctions on 15 December 1879. Trhough services were introduced between Northampton and Nottingham, Northampton and Newark, and Melton and Grantham. The Newark to Northampton service was withdrawn on 1 May 1882. With the completion of the Leicester Branch, a Leicester to Peterborough through service was introduced on 1 January 1883. With the opening of the Great Central & Greast Northern Joint station at Nottingham Victoria in 1900, Great Northern trains were diverted via a newly-laid spur to Nottingham Victoria station, but L&NWR trains continued to run to Nottingham London Road Low Level until 1944. Passenger service ceased on 7 December 1953, with goods following on 1 June 1964.
Map of the Great Northern and London & North Western Joint Railway
Bingham Road station and bridge in a postcard view of circa 1910
Harby & Stathern station in a postcard view from the Edwardian period
Melton Mowbray North station on the eve of the First World War
Site Contents Untitled