John Speller's Web Pages Derbyshire & Staffordshire Extension Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Derbyshire & Staffordshire Extension Railway GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Derbyshire and Staffordshire Extension Railway was authorized by the Great Northern Railway (Derbyshire and Staffordshire) Act of 1872 and was completed in 1878. The major engineering works were the Bennerley Viaduct (484 yards), Morley Tunnel (238 yards) and Mickleover Tunnel (464 yards). With the purchase of the Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway in 1881, the line made possible through running from Nottingham to Derby, Burton-on-Trent, Stafford and through running powers over the London & North Western Railway to Wellington (Salop) and Shrewsbury. Rail service was withdrawn in 1964, though because of its convenience to Derby Works the six miles between Egginton Jcn and Mickleover was used by British Rail as a test track between 1965 and 1990. It was over this track that the HST InterCity 125 trains were first tried out.
The City of Derby were so desperate to break the monopoly of the Midland Railway, with its exhorbitant prices, that they let the Great Northern Railway build its line right through the heart of the city at Friargate
Postcard view of Ilkeston North station (GNR) in around 1910
Basford & Bulwell station shortly before closure. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled