John Speller's Web Pages Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - GNR
Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway, destined to become part of the East Coast Main Line from Kings Cross to Leeds Central, was incorporated by an Act of July 1854 to build a line from the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway at Wortley South Junction near Leeds to Wakefield Westgate. The Act sanctioned a capital of 180,000 in 20 shares, with powers to borrow an additional 60,000 on loan. The Chairman was George Anderson and the General Manager was Seymour Clarke, who was also General Manager of the Great Northern and Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railways. The Engineer was Sir John Hawkshaw. The line was to be worked by the Great Northern Railway. The line opened on 10 October 1858. Various branches were added to Batley, Osset, Methley, etc. The company was renamed the West Yorkshire Railway by an Act of 21 July 1863, and amalgamated with the Great Northern Railway by another Act of 5 July 1865. The intermediate stations between Wakefield and Leeds were Lofthouse & Outwood, Ardsley and Beeston, all of which closed in the 1950s to ease congestion on the main line. The line was electrified as part of the East Coast Main Line electrification, completed in 1990. A cab ride along the line from Leeds to Wakefield may be seen here.
Map of the Bradford, Wakefield, & Leeds and Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railways
Railmotor at Ardsley station in around 1910
Postcard view the Great Northern Railway's "Leeds Dining Car Express" behind Ivatt Large Atlantic No. 278 on Peterborough Troughs in around 1910
Postcard view of Lofthouse & Outwood station in around 1905
Site Contents Untitled