John Speller's Web Pages Wigan Junction Railways

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway

Wigan Junction Railways Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu
The Wigan Junction Railways were incorporated by an Act of 16 July 1874 to build a line from the Liverpool Central to Manchester Central line of the Cheshire Lines Committee and the coal fields in the neighborhood of Wigan. As the Great Northern Railway was unwilling to be part of the scheme, the line was built by the other two partners in the Cheshire Lines Committee, the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire and Midland Railways, and ownership was vested in the Sheffield & Midland Joint Railway. The line opened for mineral traffic as far as Strangeways on 16 October 1879, and to Wigan for goods and passengers on 1 April 1884. An improved Wigan Central station was opened on 3 October 1892. On 4 August 1905 the Midland Railway gave up its half ownership and the line was vested entirely in the Great Central Railway. The line closed to passenger traffic under the Beeching Axe on 2 November 1964 and to goods traffic on 22 April 1968. A video of the line may be seen here.
Map of the Wigan Junction Railways
Bickershaw & Ambram station 16 April 1962. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Opening day at the new Wigan Central station, 3 October 1892
Glazebrook station 11 April 2005. Image copyright KeithWilliamson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled