John Speller's Web Pages West Riding & Grimsby Railway Committee

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central and Great Northern Railways Joint Committee
West Riding & Grimsby Railway (GCR/GNR) Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu GNR Horizontal Menu Untitled
The West Riding & Grimsby Railway was incorporated by an Act of 7 August 1862 to build a line from the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway at Wakefield to the South Yorkshire Railway at Barnby Dun with a line to Doncaster and several minor branches totaling 28 miles. There was an authorized capital of 360,000 with powers to borrow an additional 120,000. It is noteworthy that William Foster, who was later largely responsible for extending the route to Keighley via the Queensbury lines was prominent among the Directors. The Secretary was William West, and the Engineer was Sir John Fowler, with John Fraser as the Resident Engineer. The line opened on 1 January 1866, and was vested jointly in the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire and Great Northern Railways on 28 June 1867. It gave the MS&LR a through route to its Docks at Grimsby and to East Coast resorts such as Cleethorpes, while giving the GNR a direct route from Doncaster to Wakefield, Leeds and Bradford. It still forms part of the East Coast Main Line to Leeds.
Map of the West Riding & Grimsby Railway and connections
Hemsworth station on a postcard of around 1910
Stainforth station (later Hatfield & Stainforth) in around 1910
Kings Cross Leeds express at South Emsall station in 2006. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled