John Speller's Web Pages Liverpool, St Helens & South Lancashire Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway

Liverpool, St Helens & South Lancashire Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu
The St Helens & Wigan Junction Railway was incorporated by an Act of 22 July 1885 to build an 8-mile railway from St Helens to a junction with the Wigan Junction Railways at Lowton St Mary's. To this was added a projected 10-mile extension to Liverpool, and the line was re-incorporated under an Act of 26 July 1889 as the Liverpool, St Helen's & South Lancashire Railway. The Chairman was Henry Seton-Karr, MP, and the Engineer was Sir Charles Douglas Fox. The Secretary was Oliver Stanbrooke Holt, who was also the Secretary of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire and Hull & Barnsley Railways. The line was worked from the outset by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway. Only the 8-mile section from Lowton St Mary's to St Helens Central was actually built, however, and this was opened to goods traffic on 1 January 1895. The company could not afford to produce adequate facilities for passenger traffic until 4 January 1900. The line was vested in the Great Central Railway on 4 August 1905. It closed to passengers on 3 March 1952 and to goods on 4 June 1965. The line to Haydock Park remained open, however, for racecourse specials until the mid-1970s.
Map of the Liverpool, St Helens & South Lancashire Railway
Ashton Road Railway Bridge. Bridge over the remains of the Ex Great Central branch line to St. Helens. This line now links into factory premises from the West Coast main line. Image copyright Raymond Knapman and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Passengers for the Haydock Park Racecourse at Haydock Park station in a postcard view of around 1910. Note the disgraceful amount of litter that the crowds seem to have dropped
Pollitt Class "11-A" 4-4-0 No. 853 (LNER Class "D-6") at Manchester Central in around 1914. A similar locomotive hauled the first passenger train to St Helens Central in 1900
Site Contents Untitled