John Speller's Web Pages Sheffield District Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu

Sheffield District Railway
The Sheffield District Railway ran from Brightside Junction, on the Midland Railway's Sheffield to Rotherham line, and Treeton Junction, on the Midland Railway's Rotherham to Chesterfield line. It was largely promoted by the same personnel as the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, including the same Chairman, Emerson Bainbridge, and the same General Manager, Harry Willmott. It in part provided a connection with the LD&ECR's Sheffield Branch, which terminated at the Midland's Rotherham to Chesterfield line and relied on the Midland and Sheffield District lines to get it into Sheffield. The line was worked by and later taken over by, the Great Central Railway, although it did not actually abut any of that company's lines. The 4 mile line was authorized by an Act of 1896 and opened on 20 May 1900. There were two stations, at Tinsley Road, later Tinsley West, and Catcliffe. The line closed to passenger traffic on 11 September 1939 on the outbreak of World War II. It reopened on 6 October 1946, but closed again on 17 March 1947. Freight traffic beyond Tinsley yard ceased in 1965.
Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the Sheffield District Railway
Catcliffe Station, Sheffield District Railway
Harry Willmott, General Manager of the Sheffield District and Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railways
Viaduct over the River Dee at Brightside on the Sheffield District Railway
Site Contents Untitled