John Speller's Web Pages Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central and London & North Western Railways Joint Committee

Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu LNWR Untitled
Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway was authorized by an Act of 21 July 1845. By an Act of 2 July 1847 it was jointly purchased by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (later the Great Central) and the London & North Western Railway. It opened from Altrincham to a terminus at Manchester Oxford Road on 20 July 1849. The original Manchester Oxford Road was interesting in that like some of Brunel's early stations on the Great Western Railway the up and down stations were on the same side of the line with a crossover between. In 1881 two curved through platforms were constructed at Manchester London Road (now Platforms 13 & 14 of Manchester Piccadilly) to allow through running for the first time.

On 11 May 1931 electrification was introduced on the 1500v DC overhead system. This was upgraded to the 25Kv AC overhead system in 1971, but nevertheless the last through train from Manchester to Altrincham ran on 24 December 1991.
Map of the Manchester South Junction & Altrincham Railway, courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Webb 0-6-2T No. 952 with a passenger train at the MSJ&AR platforms at Manchester London Road - the only part of the station that permitted through running
Manchester Oxford Road station, rebuilt in 1960 and now a Grade II llisted building. It now mostly serves the Liverpool line. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Great Central Railway 2-4-0T No. 9, one of several tank engines used on Great Central services between Altrincham and the Cheshire Lines Committee's station at Manchester Central
Site Contents Untitled