John Speller's Web Pages Immingham Docks

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu

Immingham Docks
As early as 1874 the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway's Engineer, Charles Liddell (1813-1894) did some test borings at Immingham which suggested that it would prove an ideal site for an east coast deepwater port. Nothing much happened for the rest of the century, but then Engineer Sir John Wolfe Barry did some further tests and confirmed Charles Liddell's earlier conclusions. The Great Central Railway accordingly submitted a proposal to Parliament for building a deepwater port at Immingham, and were met largely with derision, and the suggestion that they were building a costly white elephant. Nevertheless the Humber Commercial Railway & Dock Act was received the Royal Assent on 22 July 1904. Work began in 1906, and the port was officially opened by King George V on 22 July 1912. History has proved the Great Central right in this, as in many other things including the Channel Tunnel, and today Immingham is Britain's largest deepwater port and is responsible for generating over a quarter of all the freight on British railways.
The main dock and general offices of the Immingham Dock Company at the time of opening in 1912. This was one of a set of six postcards issued by the Great Central Railway at the time.
Another of the Great Central commemorative postcards, showing the interchange of freight between sea and rail at Immingham
This postcard shows the passenger station, which was situated on the East Jetty
To handle heavy freight trains to and from Immingham Dock, in 1911 J. G. Robinson designed what he considered his most successful locomotive, the Great Central "8-K" Class 2-8-0 (LNER Class "O-4"). The Great Central Railway built 126 of these locomotives, and a further 540 were built for operation by the ROD during World War I. After the War 421 of these locomotives ended up on the London & North Eastern Railway, making it the LNER's most plentiful class. The Great Western Railway had 100 of them and the LMS had 75. This photograph, taken on 25 March 1950, shows a Great Western example, No. 3043, at Seer Green on the Great Western & Great Central Joint. Note the Great Western top feed apparatus. Some examples even ran with Swindon taper boilers. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License. Footage of preserved 2-8-0 No. 63601 operating on the Great Central Railway at Quorn & Woodhouse may be seen here
Site Contents Untitled