John Speller's Web Pages <html> <head><title>John Speller's Oldham, Ashton-under-Lyne & Guide Bridge Junction Railway (GCR/L&NWR)

John Speller's Web Pages - GC and L&NW Railways Joint Committee
Oldham, Ashton-under-Lyne & Guide Bridge Junction Railway (GCR/L&NWR) Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu LNWR Untitled
The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway first attempted unsuccessfully to get an Act through Parliament for building a railway between Oldham and the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway at Guide Bridge in 1846. The scheme was revived ten years later as a joint venture initially with the Lancashire & Yorkshire, which subsequently withdrew, and then with the London & North Western Railway. The Oldham, Ashton-under-Lyne & Guide Bridge Junction Railway was incorporated by an Act of 10 August 1857. According to the Act the line was to be in five sections. The first section of 4 miles and 7 yards ran from Oldham station to a junction with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway at Peccaties. The second section of 1 mile 3 furlongs and 17 yards ran from Peccaties to Guide Bridge. The third section was a spur of 2 furlongs and 6 yards at Ashton, the fourth a spur of 5 furlongs, 8 chains and 11 yards from Wood Lane to Moss Coal Pit, and the fifth a spur of 2 furlongs, 6 chains and 8 yards from Lower Allhill to Rochervale. The authorized capital was 140,000 in 10 shares, with powers to borrow an additional 46,600. The Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway and the London & North Western Railway each subscribed 50,000 in return for which they had the right to appoint 1/3 of the Directors. The line opened on 26 August 1861 and was jointly worked by the MS&LR and L&NWR. It was vested jointly in the MS&LR and L&NWR by an Act of 30 June 1862. The line closed to passenger traffic on 4 May 1959, and to goods traffic north of Ashton in 1967. The short 77 chain section between Crowthorn Junction and Ashton is the only section that now remains open for goods traffic.
1912 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the Oldham, Ashton & Guide Bridge Railway in yellow
Hughes-Fowler "6-P/5-F" Class 2-6-0 No. 42856 with a goods train at Guide Bridge East Junction on 26 July 1951. Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Park Bridge Viaduct just north of Park Bridge station was the major engineering work on the Oldham, Ashton & Guide Bridge Railway. It was demolished in 1971
Local train from Manchester approaching Ashton (Charlestown) station near the junction with the OA&GBR behind Stanier Class "4-MT" 2-6-4T No. 42645 on 26 July 1951. Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled