John Speller's Web Pages GCR Glossop Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu

GCR Glossop Branch
Glossop was originally served by a station some distance from the town on the Great Central main line between Manchester and Sheffield. Henry Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk, at his own expense built a spur from the main line to the town, which and opened on 30 June 1845, after which the original station was renamed Dinting. Glossop station was renamed Glossop Central on 10 July 1922, but reverted to Glossop on 6 May 1974. With the closure of the main line beyond Dinting, a half-hourly train electric service now runs between Manchester Piccadilly and Glossop.
Glossop Station, 28 May 2007. Image copyright Alan Fleming and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Map showing the Glossop Branch of the Great Central Railway
Dinting Vale Viaduct, situated on the main line, 12 miles from Manchester, at the junction with the Glossop Branch. Image copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Glossop Hall, home of the 13th. Duke of Norfolk, demolished in 1950
Site Contents Untitled