John Speller's Web Pages GCR London Extension

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu

GCR London Extension
Aylesbury, around 1910 with a GCR local train. Originally part of the GWR's Wycombe Railway from Maidenhead to Princes Risborough, with branches to Oxford and Aylesbury, the High Wycombe to Aylesbury section became part of the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway in 1906
Departure of the first train on the London Extension from Marylebone Station on 9 March 1899. The locomotive was Pollitt Class "11A" (LNER "D-6") 4-4-0 No. 861
Woodford Halse & Hinton Station, GCR. Near here were the junctions for both the GCR's Banbury branch and the Midland & Stratford Junction Railway to Stratford-upon-Avon, over which the Great Central operated four expresses each way a week
Marylebone Station, built in a fine English Renaissance style to the design of the Great Central's engineer Henry William Braddock. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled