John Speller's Web Pages <html> <head><title>John Speller's Web Pages <html> <!PAGEREF 18100> <head><title>John Speller's Web Pages <html> <head><title>John Speller's Web Pages Chester & Connah's Quay Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway
Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu
The Chester & Connah's Quay Railway was authorized by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (Chester to Connah's Quay) Act, 1884, in order to connect the MS&LR at Chester to Wrexham via the Wrexham, Mold & Connah's Quay Railway, and to Birkenhead (for Liverpool) via the North Wales & Liverpool Committee, a joint venture of the MS&LR and WM&CQR. The junction between these three railways was at Hawarden Bridge and involved the construction of the Hawarden Swing Bridge. The contractors were Messrs. Logan & Hemingway, who were subsequently the contractors for the Great Central Railway's London Extension. The line opened on 31 March 1890, and closed a century later.
1903 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing the terminus of the Chester & Connah's Quay Railway.
Chester Northgate Station (Cheshire Lines Committee Joint GCR/GNR/MR), terminus of the Chester & Connah's Quay Railway, in about 1914.
Blacon Station, Chester & Connah's Quay Railway, shortly after nationalization. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
The fine neo-Tudor Saughall Station on the Chester & Connah's Quay Railway in around 1914
Site Contents Untitled