John Speller's Web Pages Blackburn Valley Line

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Central Railway

Blackburn Valley Line Great Central Horizontal Menu Great Central Horizontal Menu
The South Yorkshire Railway opened its main line from Swinton to Doncaster on 10 November 1849. A further line from Mexborough to Barnsley Exchange opened on 1 July 1851. n 9 September 1854 the Blackburn Valley line was opened providing a link between Barnsley and Sheffield, making use of a connection with the Midland Railway for the last section into Sheffield (Wicker) station. Making use of another connection with the Midland Railway at Mexborough, the South Yorkshire Railway was able to introduce rail service between Doncaster and Sheffield (Wicker)in Nov ember 1855. Although initially the South Yorkshire Railway operated in close cooperation with the Midland Railway, in 1861 the South Yorkshire Railway began running into the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway station at Sheffield (Victoria), and following this the firm amalgamated with the MS&LR under an Act of May 1864. The Blackburn Valley line closed to passenger traffic on 7 November 1953, and to goods traffic on 31 July 1987.
Map of the South Yorkshire Railway showing the Blackburn Valley line and connections to the Midland and Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railways.
Birdwell & Hoyland Common station, 23 April 1961. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Dovecliffe station in about 1905
South Yorkshire Railway 0-4-2 locomotive No. 5 (later MS&LR No. 157), "Albion," built by Thwaites Brothers of Bradford in 1848 and withdrawn in 1870. The "vibratory piston" locomotive had rotary vanes in place of conventional pistons. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled