John Speller's Web Pages Thames-Clyde Express

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Thames-Clyde Express G&SWR Horizontal
In pre-grouping days there was a morning express between London St Pancras and Glasgow St Enoch, operated jointly by the Midland and Glasgow & South Western Railways. In 1927 the down train was leaving St Pancras at 11.45 a.m., and the up train was leaving St Enoch at 9.20 a.m., and these services were named "The Thames-Clyde Express" and became one of the LMS Railway's five principal named trains, its so-called "Flying Squad." At various times the train called at Derby and at other times at Nottingham instead, but otherwise the route remained more or less the same. The train was taken off at the outbreak of World War II in 1939, but was restored after nationalization in 1949. In 1962 the journey took 8 hours 50 minutes, an average speed of just over 45 mph. With the closure of Glasgow St Enoch the train was diverted to Glasgow Central in 1966. It finally ceased running in 1974. A video of the train in its later years may be seen here.
Map showing the route of the LMS "Thames-Clyde Express"
Down "Thames-Clyde Express" entering Skipton Station on 21 April 1961 behind Britannia Pacific No. 70044 "Earl Haig." Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Up Thames-Clyde Express, double-headed by double-chimneyed Ca No. 45615 "Malay States," at Caprotti-valve-gear-fitted Stanier Class "Black 5" 4-6-0 No. 44756 and "Jubilee" 4-6-0 Royston & Notton Station on 24 July 1951. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Official British Railways photograph of the "Thames-Clyde Express" behind Jubilee Class 4-6-0 locomotive No. 45569
Site Contents Untitled