John Speller's Web Pages Paisley & Renfrew Railway
John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR
Paisley & Renfrew Railway G&SWR Horizontal
The Paisley and Renfrew railway was was authorized by an 21 July Act of 1835 with an authorized capital of £23,000 to build a 3 mile 60 chain lightly graded railway to the Scottish 4 ft. 6 in. gauge from a terminal in Hamilton Street, Paisley to the neighboring town of Renfrew and to the River Clyde at Renfrew Wharf. The Engineers were Grainger & Miller of Edinburgh. The line opened to traffic on 3 April 1837, using steam locomotives as motive power. In 1842 the locomotives were replaced by horses to save money. The line was bought by the Glasgow, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway in 1847, which on 28 October 1850 amalgamated with the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway to form the Glasgow and South Western Railway. On 1 January 1866 service was suspended while the line was regauged to 4 ft. 8½in. and doubled. At the same time a junction was made with the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway and trains began using Paisley Abercorn in place of the original Hamilton Street terminal. The line began using steam locomotives again as motive power when reopened in May 1866. It closed to passenger traffic under the Beeching Axe on the 5 June 1967, and to goods in 1981.
Map of the Paisley & Renfrew Railway excerpted from the Railway Clearing House Junctions Diagram
Opening of the Paisley & Renfrew Railway, 3 April 1937. Locomotive "Paisley" with train
Site Contents Untitled