John Speller's Web Pages Paisley Canal Line

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Paisley Canal Line G&SWR Horizontal

In 1882, in order to relieve congestion on its main line from Glasgow St Enoch, the Glasgow & South Western Railway built a new line from Shields Road Junction to Elderslie Junction, following the line of the recently-closed Paisley Canal. The stations on the line were Elderslie, Paisley (Canal), Hawkhead, Crookston, Bellahouston and Shields. In 1896 the Glasgow & South western Railway built a massive new locomotive depot at Corkerhill near Crookston, together with a model village for its employees that housed 800 people. A station was provided at Corkerhill in 1897 for the use of G&SWR employees only. A mechanics institute was added in 1900. The model village was redeveloped in 1971, but the locomotive sheds are now a motive power depot for electric multiple units used on First ScotRail trains.
Map of the Paisley Canal Line, excerpted from the Glasgow & South Western Railway System Map
Ex-Caledonian "812" class 0-6-0 No. 17596 at Corkerhill Locomotive Depot on 15 August 1948. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
A Peter Drummond engine but not a G&SWR one ... Ex-Highland Railway 0-6-0 No. 57695 at Corkerhill Locomotive Depot on 15 August 1948. Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Corkerhill station in around 1905, with the G&SWR model village in the background. The station was originally built for G&SWR employees but became a public station as the Corkerhill community grew larger
Site Contents Untitled