John Speller's Web Pages Greenock & Ayrshire Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR
Greenock & Ayrshire Railway G&SWR Horizontal
The earliest route from Glasgow to Greenock was the originally independent Glasgow, Paisley & Greenock Railway, which opened in 1837 and merged with the Caldeonian Railway in 1847. The Greenock & Ayrshire Railway, which ran from Bridge of Weir on the Glasgow & South Western Railway to Greenock Princes Pier was also originally an independent line and was authorized by an Act of 5 July 1865. It opened on 23 December 1869, but almost immediately found itself in a price-cutting war with the Caledonian Railway which brought it to near bankruptcy from which it was rescued by amalgamation with the Glasgow & South Western Railway on 1 August 1872. There were stations at Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, Port Glasgow Upper, Lynedoch and Greenock Princes Pier, from where the G&SWR steamers connected with Dunoon, Kilcreggan and Helensburgh. Local passenger service was withdrawn in 1959, followed by the boat expresses and goods services in 1965.
Greenock Princes Pier in around 1914. The G&SWR station is the building on the left. The steamer is in the original G&SWR livery of grey and white with red and black funnel
Hugh Smellie 4-4-0 No. 127, built at Kilmarnock in 1885. They were built with slightly smaller wheels for handling the Greenock line and were called "Greenock Bogies" or "Wee Bogies". They were later rebuilt by Whitelegg with domed boilers
Greenock Princes Pier Station in the early 1870s
G&SWR Glasgow Express leaving Greenock Princes Pier in about 1910 behind a Manson 4-4-0
Site Contents Untitled