John Speller's Web Pages Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR and CR Joint
Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway G&SWR Horizontal Untitled Untitled
In the 1860s the rival Glasgow & South Western and Caledonian Railways found themselves with a common interest. The Caledonian wished to extend its Glasgow, Barrhead & Neislton Direct Railway to Kilmarnock, while the G&SWR was looking for a rather less circuitous route between Glasgow and Kilmarnock. The result was the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway, authorised by Act on Parliament on 12 July 1869, and jointly owned by the CR and G&SWR. The scheme also included a branch from Lugton to Beith. The line opened as far as Stewarton on 27 March 1871, and throughout from Kilmarnock to Neilston on 26 June 1873.
Map of the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway, excerpted from the G&SWR System Map
A postcard of around 1905 showing Neilston Joint Station
St Enoch - Kilmarnock express behind Manson 4-6-0 No. 385 in 1910
Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway Bridge No. 75 at Dunlop Station. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled