John Speller's Web Pages Glasgow St. Enoch

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Glasgow St. Enoch G&SWR Horizontal
The Official Guide to the Midland Railway for 1894 describes St. Enoch Station as follows:

"The magnificent terminus of St. Enoch Station is most centrally situated for all parts of the city. A letter-box, a telegraph office, and a bookstall, also refreshment- and dining-rooms, are on the principal platform. Luncheon baskets are supplied. Immediately adjoining the platforms is the St. Enoch Station Hotel, a commodious and handsome structure fronting St. Enoch Square. Its public apartments, which include a handsome coffee-room and a fine drawing-room, also writing, billiard, and smoking-rooms, are luxuriously yet comfortably furnished, while the private apartments en suite and the bedrooms are of the same superior description."

St Enoch station was built for the City of Glasgow Union Railway Co. to be the terminus of the Glasgow & South Western Railway, which acquired it in 1883. The station was designed to be the counterpart of the Midland Railway's terminus at London St Pancras and like that station was engineered by Sir John Fowler. The train shed was designed as a slightly smaller version of St Pancras and was built by Andrew Handyside & Co. of Derby and London. It was a five-centered elliptical design 525 feet long, divided into 16 bays, 204 feet wide and 83 feet high. It was constructed of a mixture of wrought iron and steel components with extensive glazing. It opened on 17 October 1876, followed by the St Enoch Hotel, the work of architect Thomas Wilson, in July 1879, incorporating the first electric lighting in Glasgow. A second roof was added in 1898 alongside to a similar design, though only 65 feet high, and an additional six platforms were added to make a total of twelve.

On 27 June 1966, as part of the British Railways "rationalization" that took place under Dr. Beeching, St Enoch's 250 trains and 23,000 passengers a day were diverted to the former Caledonian station at Glasgow Central. St Enoch station and was used for the next decade as a car park. The St Enoch Hotel closed in 1874, and in an act of almost unprecedented vandalism both the station and the hotel were demolished in 1977.

Of the buildings that once dominated St Enoch Square, only one now remains. St Enoch's Church, dating from 1790, was demolished in 1930; the station and hotel followed in 1977, and only the fine gothic Glasgow St Enoch Subway Station, built of sandstone to the design of James Miller in 1896, survives today.
10.15 a.m. Carlisle to Glasgow train entering Glasgow St. Enoch station behind Manson 4-4-0 No. 29 on 1 August 1911. Note the electrically operated banner-type signals, installed in 1898 and replaced in 1934
The interior of the trainshed at Glasgow St. Enoch in 1904
One of the worst accidents ever on the Glasgow & South Western Railway took place on 27 July 1903, when a train overran the buffers, killing 16 passengers and injuring a further 64. Illustration from The Illustrated London News
G&SWR Glasgow St. Enoch Station and Hotel. The five-and-a-half-story hotel, one of the finest in Scotland, featured such technological innovations as electric arc lighting and hydraulic elevators
Site Contents Untitled